RAW LINSEED OIL
Raw Linseed Oil is a traditional oil for nourishing and protecting interior wood. It is hard-wearing, giving a mellow, patinated finish, and is suitable for use on hard or close grained wood. Ideal for oiling cricket bats, it can be added to other oils to make unique blends, or used as the traditional lubricant in French polishing. It can be added to putty to help keep it soft.
HOW TO USE
Ensure the surface to be treated is clean and dry. Any previous finish must be thoroughly removed before using Raw Linseed Oil. Application Ready to use. For ease of application dilute the first few coats with Pure Turpentine (up to 30%), or alternatively heat the Raw Linseed Oil by placing it in a container and standing it in a bowl of hot water that can be frequently renewed. If heating Raw Linseed Oil, DO NOT dilute with turpentine. Rub well into the wood using a lint-free cotton cloth. After about 20-30 minutes, wipe off the excess with a clean lint-free cloth. Failure to do so will prevent penetration of future coats and leave a sticky surface. Repeat the previous steps once or twice at a few days’ interval. Apply a final coat of undiluted Raw Linseed Oil, again wiping off any excess. Allow this final coat to harden for a few days before use. A minimum of three coats is recommended. A light rubbing in between coats with Ultra Fine Steel Wool (Grade 0000) will improve results. If the surface becomes damaged, work in a new coat.
Oil finishes bring out the natural colours of timber. A wet surface will be an indication of the final colour. Always test the product on a spare surface or inconspicuous area for colour, compatibility and end result.
Cleaning and maintenance
Wipe the surface with a damp cloth and buff dry. Re-oil as and when required, depending upon usage.
Store Raw Linseed Oil at a temperature above 5°C. Always replace the lid otherwise the oil can deteriorate. Oily cloths can self-combust. Do not leave impregnated cloths in bundles. Before discarding the cloths lay them flat outside to dry to avoid a fire hazard. If the excess is not removed and the surface becomes sticky, wipe with white spirit to remove the sticky film and allow to dry before continuing.