Home  >  The history of Liberon
The beginning – a factory for gilding products, on Saint-Denis Road. :
In 1912, Georges Libéron, took over a company that manufactured products for painters and gilders and set up business at 163 Saint-Denis Road in the heart of Greneta courtyard. Situated close to the suburb of Saint-Antoine his customers were primarily made up of professional gilders and cabinet makers.

Conscious that the arrival of offset printing would reduce sales of varnish and dyes Georges Libéron decided to diversify into furniture maintenance, launching a new range – the ‘Blue Line’. The range consisted of various water-repellent furniture polishes which won awards at the World Show in Paris in 1900 and were patented in 1902. Containing a disinfectant and parasiticide Liberon’s furniture polish gave the wood an unparalleled shine whilst meeting the draconian cleanliness standards set down by the hygienists of the time. Offered as a paste or a liquid the furniture polishes in the Blue Line range made looking after floors and furniture much easier. The paste wax ‘Oke’, a un-rivalled product, became the miracle maintenance product for all surfaces and guaranteed perfect cleanliness. The keen interest in the new products convinced Georges Libéron to develop new formulas for looking after surfaces in the home.     
History of Liberon
How do you explain the ‘furniture career’ of the Saint-Antoine suburb of Paris?
In the 15th Century the royal abbey of Saint-Antoine des Champs, on the east of the Bastille, obtained a special exemption from the payment of heavy taxes for craftsmen working on their estate. This meant that they were able to carry on working without any restrictions. The area’s proximity to the river Seine meant that it was easy to source supplies of wood and this attracted many furniture making professionals to the area: cabinet makers, varnishers, marquetry inlayers, upholsterers, bronze workers and gilders. 
Paris dictionary, Larousse, 1998;